Since I can’t really plan anything too concrete for the upcoming school year, I am thinking about how I can support and encourage families to pray together at home. Many families have so much more time together at home in this season (and maybe next season too?) How do we invite God into that space?
I want to create a resource for families to use to as a guide as they try to incorporate prayer in their home life.
I want to write prayers that get to heart of what is happening in the church, the school community, and the world. This part feels like the real work. I want to listen to the Spirit as it moves in my heart and in our community and reflect that back in this work.
I’m thinking of a monthly offering, with each month focusing on a different theme. Themes would be a mix of traditional Catholic devotions, enrichment of celebrations already happening at school, or something new.
- Possible themes:
- August – Introduce the school theme for the year. I praise you because I am wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14
- September – Hispanic Heritage Celebration
- October – Rosary or St. Francis
- November- African American Catholicism
- December – Advent or Immaculate Conception or Our Lady of Guadalupe
- January- New Beginnings, maybe include prayers for reconciliation and healing
- February – African American Heritage month (also Lent starts 2/17).
- March – Women in the Church
- April – Easter (4/4/21)
- May – Mary
- June – Summer and final reflection on the school theme
It needs to be short enough that its doesn’t overwhelm, long enough that its worthwhile.
I want it to be helpful and life giving, not onerous or burdensome.
Questions to consider:
- What format should this take?
- What kind of information should be included? just prayers? history? additional resources? crafts? (definitely unsure about crafts!)
- Should it be the same format/layout each month so that it becomes familiar? Or do I change it up so that it feels new?
- How do I make this something that is more than just another handout that goes home and piles on?
- How do I share it in a way that it isn’t buried in a newsletter or cluttering an inbox? Is there a recorded component?
- Who do I enlist to help, especially for the months when the topic is outside my personal experience?